AN ODE(ON) TO BIRMINGHAM’S RICH FILM HISTORY AS THE UK’S LARGEST ODEON LUXE OPENS IN THE CITY
- ODEON Birmingham Broadway Plaza has become the Midlands’ first – and the UK’s largest – fully-reclining ODEON Luxe cinema
- To mark the official launch ODEON has commissioned a piece of street art at Birmingham’s Custard Factory in celebration of Birmingham’s rich film history – open to the public to see now!
- Guests can enjoy the UK’s biggest ODEON Luxe cinema, complete with 1,264 brand-new, handmade, luxury recliner seats across 12 screens, with state-of-the-art iSense screen with 4K projection
Film fans in Birmingham can now experience the ultimate in cinema luxury as the newly transformed ODEON Luxe Birmingham Broadway Plaza officially opens its doors in the city where it all began for ODEON. To mark the launch, ODEON – the UK & Ireland’s largest cinema chain – has commissioned a piece of street art to encapsulate ODEON’s long-lasting connection to the city along with some of the greatest moments in Birmingham’s film history.
Created in collaboration with local street and graffiti artist Andy Mills, the artwork covers 6.5 X 3.5 meters of wall in the heart of Digbeth’s Custard Factory, featuring famous Birmingham film icons and ODEON’s long-lasting connection to the city, stretching from the 1930’s to the present day.
The modern piece of street art, which took over 35 hours to spray paint, has been developed to mirror a historical tapestry, celebrating the city’s rich film history through time. The colourful and eye-catching mural, which local residents can head down to enjoy from today, includes a portrait of ODEON’s founder, Oscar Deutsch, who was born in Balsall Heath in 1893 and who opened his first modern, art-deco inspired ODEON cinema in Perry Barr in 1930.
The artwork also features tributes to The Beatles who famously played at the ODEON Birmingham cinema in 1965 and local actor Kenny Baker, who starred in six Star Wars films as R2-D2. The mural additionally showcases the brand-new ODEON Luxe offering at Broadway Plaza, including the new recliner seating guests can enjoy at the cinema.
The new ODEON Luxe Birmingham Broadway Plaza will feature 1,264 luxury handmade reclining seats across its 12 upgraded screens, offering film fans triple the legroom and increased personal space and comfort, as well as individual retractable tables to ensure the ultimate in-cinema comfort.
Cinemagoers can also enjoy a complete overhaul of the technology, including a new fully-reclining, 204-seat iSense screen, delivering a truly immersive, ultra-high-definition cinema experience, with 4K projection and Dolby ATMOS sound and a new in-screen lighting system will also help minimise distractions between guests.
“As the city where the ODEON name was born, it’s incredibly exciting to officially open our doors as a brand-new ODEON Luxe cinema. It’s been wonderful to celebrate and strengthen Birmingham’s strong connection with film and ODEON though the street art commission at Custard Factory,” said Susan Harrison, General Manager at ODEON Luxe Birmingham Broadway Plaza. “The experience we can now offer guests, with handmade recliners, triple the legroom and a new range of food and drink options, means our cinema is going to be at the forefront of entertainment for years to come.”
For more information on available offers and to book tickets for upcoming screenings, guests can visit the ODEON website: http://www.odeon.co.uk/cinemas...
Key features of the new ODEON Luxe Birmingham Broadway Plaza will include:
- 1,264 handmade fully-reclining seats across 12 refurbished screens, with increased leg-room, improved comfort and individual retractable tables
- A cutting-edge 204-seat iSense screen, delivering a truly immersive, ultra-high-definition cinema experience, with 4K projection and Dolby ATMOS sound
- 190 brand new speakers across all auditoriums, with all standard screens also upgrading to Dolby 7.1 Surround sound and 30 new multi-channel amplifiers
- New in-screen lighting systems to minimise distractions and optimise viewing angles with better light uniformity on all screens
- New Dolby Fidelio Audio Description system and Hearing-Impaired system across all screens for guests who are hard of hearing
- New food & drink offering, including lattice fries, chunky chips, chicken strips, sweet and salted popcorn, hot dogs, nachos, Tango Ice Blast and a Coca Cola Freestyle machine with over 100 different flavours to enjoy
- All-new Oscar’s Bar serving a range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, along with freshly brewed coffee served in the newly renovated on-site Costa Coffee
- ODEON’s sub-brands including ODEON Kids, ODEON Newbies, & ODEON Screen Unseen
Some of the highly anticipated films to be shown in the brand-new screens include:
- The Incredibles 2 – 13 July
- Skyscraper – 13 July
- Mamma Mia! Here We Go – 20 July
- Mission: Impossible – Fallout – 27 July